Sunday, July 27, 2014

By nationality I like when you're a man. A good man!

In Podgorica, these days, in the framework of the event "Podgorica Cultural Summer" was held the first stand-up comedy festival "Instatnt Ex YU." For all those who do not know, stand-up comedy is a form of drama performances which is characterized by direct contact with the audience. What is also typical of stand-up comedy is that comedians themselves devise, directed and say the lines. It is usually performed in clubs, theaters and different festivals.
Since "Podgorica Cultural Summer" is announced as an event, which I quote, "provides pleasant spiritual moments" accidentally I decided to spiritually enrich myself and visit the festival. Site of event - Castle Petrovic in Krusevac. At the beginning everything looked promising, so, even exciting. Attendance by the Podgorica audience at an enviable level, there were no vacancies. Because, as the old saying goes, "If its free and God is pleased," so it seems that in these times when money lacks we rush towards everything that is free and at hand. What was particularly interesting is that the audience was mostly made of young people. Yes, it seems that they shortly logged out of their facebook and twitter profile and decided to, as I did, spiritually enrich their life. The first festival evening performances were comedians from Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatian. Motley crew, once again looked promising, but...
After a few spoken sentences, in which the majority of the audience reacted with laughter, I wasnt giving any reaction. I thought - okay, maybe I did not get what's the deal. Joke after joke continues, the audience now with a smile treated comedians with applause. I still do not react. More specifically I reacted to, but instead of laughter I feel uneasy. "Transfer of shame", as we young people today call that discomfort, has expanded to me. I get it that there is nothing comical to me in "jokes" who is who and who is what in the Balkans, as well as various sexist "jokes". But I notice that the others found it very, very funny. I guess it's the "healthy" humor that appeals to the body. Because of the huge amounts of that "transfer of shame" I left that first night of the festival before the end and remained culturally not spiritualized.
The following night, I went again to the cultural uplift. But the same target and the same distance. With that, next to the jokes from yesterday, this evening sexist quips were far ahead. Why women are poorer than men in traffic? Why dont they perform the same job in the same way as men? Why women are more complicated than men are just some of the questions to which stand-up comedians gave "comical" answers, thus showing clear position of women in these areas. And the audience? Audience laughs and applauds as much as possible. And that night, I went early and was left without spiritualized feeling.
I tried to understand what in these "jokes" was really comical. Do we really need such humor after the events that took place at the end of last century? Humor in which we elevate ourselves and our own, and everybody else’s is smirked upon and exposed to ridicule. Do we really, as a society, which is located in the transitional period, the society rushing towards "democratization and Europeanization" (as many non-governmental organizations have named it) ready to forget all the divisions and draw a lesson from it? And most importantly, will our stereotypes, sexism, nationalism and prejudice in the "healthy humor" get rid of all those divisions to Serbs, Montenegrins, Muslims, Croats, Gypsies, Chetniks, the Ustasha, women and gay?




One evening I was walking through Podgorica. At the Roman Square behind the building Vektra a group of boys, no older than ten to twelve years, yelled from the top of their lungs, "Kill, kill, kill, kill Gypsies". I turned around and look that the "outcry" intended for a boy their age, Roma child, which was passing by. I get it we would have to change, among other things, the meaning of "healthy humor" if we plan for our summers and all other seasons in Podgorica, to provide truly" enjoyable spiritual moments."

No comments:

Post a Comment